Contents of Article
- What Is The Best Harness For Dalmatians?
- Popular Types of Harnesses for Dalmatians
- Tips for Getting Your Dalmatian Accustomed to a Harness
- Different Types of Dalmatian Harness Materials
- 5 More Dog Harnesses for Dalmatians
- Frequently Asked Questions
The Dalmatian is a dignified breed who is known for their spotted coat and unique job description. These “coach dog” are powerful pups who enjoy being active. While Dalmatians excel at running, hiking and dog sports, it can be a challenging task to find a harness that will fit their graceful body and hold up against their strength.
In this guide we bring you tips on how to choose the best harness for your Dalmatian, as well as advice for getting your pup accustomed to their new harness. And to make your life a little easier, we’ve used our expertise and research to bring you the nine best dog harnesses for Dalmatians.
What Is The Best Harness For Dalmatians?
- PetSafe Easy Walk Dog Harness
- Chai’s Choice 3M Reflective Dog Harness
- HDP Big Dog No Pull Harness
- Frisco Padded Front Lead Dog Harness
- Pawtitas Reflective Padded Dog Harness
- PetSafe 3 in 1 Dog Harness
- Puppia RiteFit Soft Dog Harness
- Kurgo Journey Air Dog Harness
- Chai’s Choice Outdoor Adventure 3M Reflective Dog Harness
Popular Types of Harnesses for Dalmatians
The following types of harnesses are the most popular for Dalmatians:
- No-pull harness: No-pull harnesses are the best choice for Dals who try to take control of your walks. They are designed to take pressure off your pup’s throat and neck while allowing you to steer your dog in the correct direction. No-pull harnesses are also built to stand up against the force of a strong dog pulling.
- Active harness: If your Dalmatian participates in exciting outdoor adventures such as camping, hiking or running, you may want to consider a harness built for such activities. Harnesses for extended outdoor use are made with durable materials and special safety features.
- Over-the-head harness: There are some fantastic over-the-head style harnesses for Dalmatians. They are generally padded, comfortable and suitable for a variety of activities.
- Comfort harness: For Dalmatians who prefer a more laid back lifestyle, a harness that is built for comfort may be appropriate for your pup. These harnesses are typically inexpensive and made from soft, cozy materials such as mesh or polyester.
- Standard harness: Standard harnesses are cost-effective and commonly made of nylon. They are easy to find in a variety of colors and sizes and are suitable for everyday use and daily walks.
Tips for Getting Your Dalmatian Accustomed to a Harness
A harness is a must-have tool for any dog parent, but not all dogs will react well to a harness at first. Use these tips to get your Dalmatian accustomed to their new harness.
- Start by introducing the harness to your Dalmatian by laying it on the floor and allowing them to sniff it. This will help your pup get used to the sight and smell.
- Next you’ll want to equip the harness to your dog inside your home. As you adjust the harness on their body, offer your dog treats if they are being still and allowing you to adjust it without a fight. Positive reinforcement is always best!
- After equipping and adjusting the harness, let your Dalmatian wear the harness around the house for a few minutes. Observe your dog walking around to ensure the harness isn’t restricting their movement or causing pain. Further adjust the harness as necessary.
- When you’re ready to move on, start by taking your Dalmatian on short adventures with their new harness. You’ll be able to tell if they are happy in their new harness or not. If your dog completely ignores the harness, it must be working well! If your dog is attempting to escape the harness, or bite and chew at it, it may be causing discomfort, or you may need to reintroduce the harness differently.
- It’s important to be patient with your dog. If you get frustrated, so will your Dalmatian! Every dog works at their own pace, and it’s crucial to keep that in mind.
Different Types of Dalmatian Harness Materials
Now that you’re more familiar with the most popular harness styles for Dalmatians, let’s explore the different materials used.
- Nylon: Nylon is a durable material that is strong and generally used for standard harnesses. Many harnesses also have nylon components to strengthen them.
- Mesh: Mesh is a lightweight material that is meant to be comfortable and offer breathability. While it’s not as sturdy as other materials, it’s one of the coziest.
- Polyester: Although polyester is similar to nylon, it offers additional benefits such as being abrasion resistant. Polyester tends to be a bit tougher than nylon.
- Neoprene: Neoprene is generally used for padding and additional comfort on harnesses. It’s a flexible material that is often used in harnesses for active outdoor use.
Time to introduce the nine best dog harnesses for Dalmatians!
Overall Best Dog Harnesses for Dalmatians in 2020
|Our 2020 Picks: Best Dalmatian Harnesses|
|PetSafe Easy Walk Dog Harness||CHECK PRICE|
|Chai’s Choice 3M Reflective Dog Harness||CHECK PRICE|
|HDP Big Dog No Pull Harness||CHECK PRICE|
|Frisco Padded Front Lead Dog Harness||CHECK PRICE|
|Pawtitas Reflective Padded Dog Harness||CHECK PRICE|
|PetSafe 3 In 1 Dog Harness||CHECK PRICE|
|Puppia RiteFit Soft Dog Harness||CHECK PRICE|
|Kurgo Journey Air Dog Harness||CHECK PRICE|
|Chai’s Choice Outdoor Adventure 3M Reflective Dog Harness||CHECK PRICE|
- Great for strong pullers
- Allows you to steer your pup
- Ideal for leash training
- Available in several sizes and colors
The PetSafe Easy Walk Dog Harness is known for being one of the best harnesses for controlling dogs who pull on the leash. The unique design allows you to steer your pup and keep their feet on the ground if they begin pulling or lunging. The chest martingale loop keeps the harness from twisting if your Dalmatian gets excited, and the chest strap keeps pressure off your dog’s throat and neck.
This dog harness is highly adjustable and secure. It’s ideal for leash training your Dalmatian, or if your canine pal becomes exceptionally enthusiastic when out on walks. We like that the Easy Walk harness is available in several sizes and color combinations to best suit your Dal. It also comes at a fantastic price, which is hard to beat!
- Will securely fit Dalmatians of any size
- Great for controlling your pup on a leash
- An excellent tool for leash training
- Design allows you to steer your Dal in the correct direction
- Several sizes and colors available
- Some dog parents have reported that the harness sizes tend to run large.
- Several bright colors and matching leashes available
- Built-in lift handle
- Padded chest and belly straps
- Reflective material for visibility
This dog harness is a phenomenal choice for daily walks or more intense excursions. The padded chest and belly straps will keep your Dalmatian comfortable on all of your adventures. The harness is highly adjustable to fit your Dal whether they are medium sized or weigh closer to 75lbs. To prevent straining your pup’s neck and throat, this Chai’s Choice harness evenly distributes weight among the chest, belly and shoulders.
There are two D-ring leash attachments on this dog harness – one on the chest and one on the back piece. If your Dalmatian pulls on the leash, attaching a leash to the front of the harness will help steer and control them appropriately. We like that this harness is equipped with a handle for lift assist, and it can be used to slip a seat belt through for vehicle safety.
- Constructed with 3M reflective piping
- Many sizes and colors available
- Designed to take pressure of your dog’s neck and throat
- Suitable for any outdoor adventure
- Doubles as a vehicle safety harness
- This harness must be hand washed
- No choke design
- Wide, padded construction
- Lift assist handle
- Great for senior dogs or aggressive pullers
The HDP Big Dog No Pull Harness is built for premium comfort and control. It’s designed to distribute pressure evenly if your Dalmatian is pulling or jumping on the leash. The padded construction is super comfy for a superior walking experience. This harness is made from polyester, so it will be gentle on your dog’s skin.
This no-pull dog harness features a large handle to help give your Dal an extra boost if they need it. It’s also beneficial for grabbing your pup in unexpected situations. This harness allows for unrestrictive movement so your canine companion will have the freedom to walk or run how they please. We like the large reflective strap on this harness so your pup will be seen even in darker conditions. After all, safety is always priority!
- Suitable for all Dalmatians, even seniors
- Wide design distributes pulling pressure among the chest and shoulders
- Helpful lifting handle
- Great for dogs who pull
- Reflective strip for additional safety
- Must be hand washed with soap and water
- Not built for extended wear
- Built with durable nylon and a padded chest piece
- Design discourages pulling
- Multiple points of adjustment
- Comes in four colors and sizes
This over-the-head style harness will be a perfect fit for any Dalmatian. The highly adjustable design will fit snugly on a pup, even if they are growing. The padded chest piece is comfortable yet lightweight and breathable. High quality nylon will keep this great dog harness intact, even in unpredictable weather. Durability definitely won’t be an issue with this Frisco harness!
Like some of the other harnesses we chose, this one has two leash attachment rings. The D-ring on the chest will allow you to regain control of walk time if your Dalmatian pulls or is easily distracted. But of course, it can also be used as a traditional harness by way of the D-ring on the back. This fantastic dog harness is a good fit for a Dalmatian of any activity level, and we love how affordable it is!
- Multiple adjustment points
- Appropriate for dogs who like to pull on the leash
- A variety of colors and sizes are available
- While the nylon material is extremely durable, it’s not chew-proof.
5 More Dog Harnesses for Dalmatians
The Pawtitas dog harness mixes style with function to bring you comfortable option for all of your Dalmatian’s adventures. This padded harness boasts a simple step-in design that is easy to adjust and fasten. Not only will walks be enjoyable with help from the cozy chest piece, but they will be extra safe with the reflective strip material. This dog harness will match your Dal’s personality through an assortment of bright colors, and you can even purchase a collar and leash to match!
If you want a utility harness for your Dalmatian, this is the one. It’s designed for vehicle safety, leash training and traditional walking. It may look like an everyday harness, but it’s extremely versatile. The harness straps are lined with neoprene, and reflective stitching offers increased visibility. This 3 in 1 dog harness has a whopping 5 adjustment points to ensure it’ll fit your Dalmatian like a glove. While this PetSafe harness can be used for everyday walks, it’s entirely helpful to have a vehicle safety option as well as a no-pull construction.
This soft mesh harness is a good option for Dalmatians who walk well on the leash. While the fabric may not hold up against constant pulling, it is cozy for those who are already leash trained. The neck portion of the harness is adjustable to fit your Dal properly, and you can adjust the belly strap as well. The Puppia RiteFit dog harness is ideal for premium comfort and breathability. The 100% polyester fabric is gentle a dog’s skin, and soft edge piping prevents chafing and irritation. We recommend this harness for routine walks and other basic activities.
Does your Dalmatian love going on outdoor excursions with you? This Kurgo dog harness is wonderful for those extra active pups who enjoy activities such as running or hiking. The deep V-neck design ensures premium comfort so your Dal’s throat will never be compromised. The chest piece is padded and the material is lightweight and breathable. This Kurgo harness is durable and constructed with rust-proof buckles. Reflective trim keeps your Dalmatian visible in all weather conditions, and there’s a front leash loop for those feisty pups who like to pull on the leash.
Another excellent outdoor dog harness is this one from Chai’s Choice. The harness is made from durable nylon webbing and scratch-resistant oxford material for those active puppers who love romping in the great outdoors. The harness is padded for ultimate comfort and it can be adjusted to properly fit your Dalmatian. Reflective trim will keep your dog safe, and a sturdy top handle can be used for lifting or to slip a seatbelt through for vehicle restraint. This Chai’s Choice harness is available in a couple of super bright colors and several sizes.
Frequently Asked Questions
- My dog keeps escaping their harness. What should I do? If your pup keeps wriggling free of their harness, adjust it to ensure it’s fitting properly. You should be able to fit two fingers between the harness and your dog’s skin. Any more space than that may give your dog enough slack to try and escape. Make sure all buckles and Velcro are secure. If your dog is still escaping after making adjustments, you may need to purchase a smaller size harness, or a different style altogether.
- How do I pick the best size harness for my dog? Measure your dog’s body length, girth and neck. Use these measurements and compare them to the sizing chart associated with the harness you like. Always pick a size based on measurements, rather than simply choosing small, medium, large, etc. Measurements will be much more reliable. Just remember to keep your receipt and packaging in case you need to return or exchange the harness.
We truly hope that this comprehensive guide on dog harnesses for Dalmatians has been helpful to you! Safety and comfort should always be priority when picking out a quality harness for your pup, and we’re confident that the harnesses we chose are all excellent choices.