Contents of Article
- What Is Best Dog Brush For a Dalmatian?
- 5 Benefits of Brushing Your Dalmatian
- Dalmatian Shedding Tips
- Popular Types of Dog Brushes for Dalmatians
- Overall Best Dalmatian Dog Brush
- 6 More Top Dog Brushes for Dalmatians
The Dalmatian’s coat is iconic and remarkably unique. This dignified dog was originally bred to guard horse-drawn gypsies, firefighters and nobles, and they are still famed for that unique job description. The loyal Dalmatian stands proud and tall, with a short spotted coat that is hard to ignore. But although the Dal’s coat is short, it’s dense and sheds frequently.
- 100% medical grade silicone
- Can be used on wet or dry hair
Dalmatians require routine brushing to keep shedding at bay, and effective grooming begins with a high-quality dog brush. In this article we highlight the nine best dog brushes for Dalmatians, as well as tips for reducing shedding year round.
What Is Best Dog Brush For a Dalmatian?
- Furbliss Multi-Use Deshedding and Massaging Short Hair Dog Brush
- Kong Dog ZoomGroom Multi-Use Brush
- FURminator Curry Comb for Dogs
- Four Paws Magic Coat Curry Antibacterial Dog Brush
- SleekEZ Deshedding Grooming Tool
- Pat Your Pet Five Finger Grooming Glove
- HandsOn All-In-One Bathing & Grooming Gloves
- Petmate FurBuster 3-in-1 Dog Grooming Glove
- FURminator Firm Slicker Brush for Dogs
5 Benefits of Brushing Your Dalmatian
Even though Dalmatians have sleek, glossy coats, they still require regular brushing. Below are some benefits of brushing your Dal.
- Reduce shedding: Even though Dalmatians have short coats, they shed a lot throughout the entire year. Regularly brushing your Dal will help get shedding under control. It will also keep loose hair contained rather than all over your floors and furniture.
- Distribute natural oils throughout their coat: A dog’s coat naturally produces essential oils which keep the skin and fur healthy and hydrated. Brushing your Dalmatian will promote this production and evenly distribute the oils through your pup’s coat to keep it looking shiny and lustrous.
- Bond with your pup: Routinely brushing your dog turns into quality time with them. When you spend 15 minutes or so brushing your Dalmatian, you are creating a bond and encouraging them to trust you.
- Look out for pests or skin conditions: When you brush your dog you are actively deterring pests and you will quickly discover if there is a parasite feeding on your Dalmatian. Regular grooming also allows you to see if there’s been in a change in your dog’s skin or coat health. The quicker you notice a health concern, the more likely you are to effectively get it under control.
- Restore shine and luster: Dalmatians are known for their extraordinary spotted coats. Brushing your Dal will help restore the glossy look that a Dal’s coat has, especially if your pup has been battling dry, irritated skin. Brushing will encourage growth of healthy hair and oil production.
Dalmatian Shedding Tips
Brushing your Dalmatian a few times a week will keep hairs on the brush and off your floors. If you’re snagging dead and loose hairs before they leave your Dal’s body, you won’t have to worry about it around your home, in the air and all over your belongings.
Baths every six weeks or so with an appropriate dog shampoo will also help reduce shedding. Hydrated, healthy skin won’t shed excessively as opposed to if your Dalmatian has dry, itchy skin.
Popular Types of Dog Brushes for Dalmatians
Due to the fact that Dalmatians have short, dense coats there are a few brushes that are most often used to groom them.
- Curry comb: The curry comb is the most popular brush for Dalmatians. Curry combs are ideal for short haired dogs. They are generally built with a rubber or silicone nodule patterns that remove loose hair from your Dalmatian’s coat. They also evenly distribute oils throughout the skin and coat, while offering a gentle massage sensation.
- Grooming gloves: A dog grooming mitt or gloves work nicely for brushing a Dalmatian because like a curry comb, they have soft rubber nodules that remove hair and debris. They can typically be used wet or dry, just like a curry comb. Dog grooming gloves offer a more hands-on approach (pun intended) to brushing your Dalmatian.
- Traditional slicker brush: Slicker brushes are pretty standard, and they will work to brush a dog with any coat length or thickness. Slicker brushes are generally best for removing tangles and knots from a dog’s fur, which Dalmatians don’t experience much of. However, a slick brush will remove loose hair and distribute oils the way a glove or curry comb will.
Now we’ll get into the nine best brushes for Dalmatians.
Overall Best Dalmatian Dog Brush
|Our 2021 Picks: Best Dog Brushes for Dalmatians|
|Furbliss Multi-Use Deshedding And Massaging Short Hair Dog Brush
|Kong Dog ZoomGroom Multi-Use Brush
|FURminator Curry Comb For Dogs
|Four Paws Magic Coat Curry Antibacterial Dog Brush
|SleekEZ Deshedding Grooming Tool
|Pat Your Pet Five Finger Grooming Glove
|HandsOn All-In-One Bathing & Grooming Gloves
|Petmate FurBuster 3-In-1 Dog Grooming Glove
|BFURminator Firm Slicker Brush For Dogs
- 100% medical grade silicone
- Can be used on wet or dry hair
- Soft, gentle nodules to massage your dog’s skin
- Dishwasher and washing machine safe
Curry combs are the most effective way to brush a Dalmatian. Their smooth, short coats don’t require the use of a slicker or pin brush, so we chose this curry comb as our top pick. It’s constructed with medical grade silicone that will be soft on your pup’s skin. The short nodules pull away dead hair from your Dal’s coat, while offering a massaging sensation.
The gentle massage this curry comb will give your Dalmatian helps to stimulate production of natural oils in their coat. These oils nourish the skin to keep it hydrated and healthy. We like this Furbliss curry comb because it can be used while bathing your pup to help lather shampoo through their coat and remove dead hair. It’s also unique because you can put the comb in the dishwasher or washing machine for convenient sterilization.
- Suitable for wet or dry use
- Made from 100% medical grade silicone
- Nodules massage the skin and promote production of natural oils
- Easy to clean and disinfect
- Will also remove hair from clothing or furniture
- More expensive than some of the other options.
- Made in the USA
- Available in a variety of sizes and colors
- Appropriate for wet or dry use
This affordable multi-use dog brush is a great option for grooming your Dalmatian. It acts as a magnet to remove loose hair while massaging your pup’s skin to distribute oils. The rubber nodules stimulate the capillaries to promote a healthy coat. Plus, this comb is easy to hold in your hand so you can effectively brush your Dalmatian without missing a spot.
The Kong ZoomGroom curry brush can be used to dry brush your Dalmatian, but it’s also great for shampooing and bath time. This budget-friendly dog brush is made in the USA out of globally sourced materials, and it comes in two sizes and colors. We love the price of this curry comb, and it is highly recommended by other dog parents.
- Available in two sizes and colors
- Suitable for wet or dry brushing
- Made in the USA
- Needs to be disinfected by hand.
- Dual rubber teeth design
- Built with a hand strap
- Made from antimicrobial plastic
- FURminator is a trusted name in dog grooming
The FURminator curry comb has a unique structure and handle design. It fits naturally in your hand with a helpful strap so the comb won’t slip out of your grip, even when using for wet brushing. This curry comb is built with molded rubber teeth that remove loose hair from your Dalmatian’s smooth coat. They also massage your pup’s skin to promote the production of natural oils, which support coat health.
To prevent the growth of bacteria, the FURminator curry comb is constructed from antimicrobial plastic. Since this dog brush is best suited for short coats, we highly recommend it for your Dal. We also appreciate the fact that FURminator is a reliable brand that dog parents have grown to love and trust.
- Comes from a long line of trusted dog grooming tools
- Innovative design with a hand strap
- Made with antimicrobial plastic to prevent the growth of bacteria
- Ergonomic shape
- The rubber nodules are shorter than some of the other curry combs.
6 More Top Dog Brushes for Dalmatians
This double-sided curry comb will be terrific for giving your Dalmatian a deep massage while removing loose hair from their coat. One side of the brush has long silicone nodules which work to deep clean your pup’s skin and fur. The other side has shorter nubs that will remove debris and dead hair. The Four Paws curry comb is made from flexible silicone material. It’s even antimicrobial for daily or frequent use.
Dalmatians shed frequently, and we suggest giving this tool a try to get it under control. A unique tooth pattern on this brush quickly removes dirt, dander and loose hair from dogs with short coats. The handle is made from poplar wood, and it comfortably fits in your hand for extended use. The teeth on this dog brush will reach into your Dalmatian’s undercoat to effectively reduce shedding. You can also use this SleekEZ tool to remove hair from furniture and bedding.
For Dalmatian parents who may prefer a more hands on approach, grooming gloves are a great alternative to a brush or comb. Gloves turn grooming into a bonding experience, and they massage your pup’s skin and coat while removing loose hair. These grooming gloves feature rubber bristles that will detangle fur and sweep up dead hair from your Dal’s coat. You can purchase a pair of gloves or a single one. They are a universal fit and have adjustable straps to properly fit your hands.
These wet and dry dog grooming gloves are constructed with two different nodule designs to effectively clean and brush your Dalmatian. Built with durable material, these lightweight gloves won’t crack, tear or grow mildew. These grooming gloves will stay put on your hands even when used with soapy water during bath time. We like that your Dalmatian’s hair won’t stick to these gloves, making them easy to clean and maintain. The HandsOn dog grooming gloves are available in a variety of sizes.
Groom, scrub and massage your Dalmatian with this Petmate grooming glove. This comfortable glove can be used in wet or dry conditions to penetrate your pup’s coat and remove excess hair. The outer mesh material on this dog brushing glove allow it to dry quickly after being used with water. You can even throw it in the washing machine for simple cleaning. Then simply hang it up to dry and store.
If you prefer to use a traditional slicker brush, we like this one from FURminator. Its innovative dual flex head design allows you to follow the contours of your Dal’s body when brushing. The flex head is also double-sided, with straight bristles on one side and bent bristles on the other. This dog brush is great for reaching deep into your pup’s undercoat to remove loose and dead hair. It will also be exceptional for detangling without damaging your dog’s coat or irritating the skin. Like other FURminator brushes, this one is made with antimicrobial plastic.
- Do Dalmatians shed? Dalmatians shed…and they shed a lot. It’s a common misconception that Dals won’t shed much because of their coat appearance, but their short, thin hairs shed incredibly often.
- How do you stop a Dalmatian from shedding? The answer is: you don’t. Dalmatians shed day and night. The breed is known for frequent shedding but it can be somewhat contained through regular baths and brushing. Dalmatian hair is stiff and it’s not easy to get out of furniture. Daily brushing will help hair end up in a brush rather than floating around your home.
- How often should I brush my Dalmatian? You should brush your Dalmatian at least 2-3 times a week. Shedding will become an overwhelming concern if you do not keep up with your Dal’s coat.
Dalmatians are reserved, athletic dogs who specialize in shedding their coat. Well, not really, but the breed is known for their 24/7 shedding. Brushing your canine companion will help keep their fine hairs contained on the brush rather than around your home and clothing. A curry comb or grooming glove will surely do the trick when it comes to keeping your Dalmatian looking regal and eye-catching.