Contents of Article
- What Is Best Dog Brush For Chihuahua?
- 5 Benefits of Brushing Your Chihuahua
- Long Hair vs. Short Hair Chihuahua Grooming
- 5 Popular Brush Types for Chihuahuas
- Best Dog Brushes for Chihuahuas
- 5 More Chihuahua Brushes
- Frequently Asked Questions
While brushing your Chihuahua sounds like a simple task, each coat type requires a different amount of maintenance. When it comes to grooming your Chi, purchasing the correct tools is absolutely essential. Picking out a proper brush for grooming your pup will ensure they are getting the best care possible.
In this helpful article we discuss the popular types of brushes for Chihuahuas, and what makes them so reliable. We’ll also talk about the differences between grooming a long and short haired Chihuahua. Then you can choose a brush from our list of recommendations to get started on your new grooming routine!
What Is Best Dog Brush For Chihuahua?
- Safari Combo Brush for Dogs
- KONG Dog ZoomGroom Multi-Use Brush
- Wags & Wiggles Dual Sided Bristle and Wiggle Pin Brush
- Furbliss Multi-Use Deshedding and Massaging Brush
- FURemover Duo Dual-Sided Grooming & Hair Removal
- Hertzko Self-Cleaning Dog Slicker Brush
- FURminator Curry Comb for Dogs
- FURminator Soft Slicker Brush for Dogs
- Mr. Peanut’s Grooming Gloves
5 Benefits of Brushing Your Chihuahua
You may not often think about brushing your Chihuahua, especially if they have a short coat. However, there are some exceptional benefits of brushing your pampered pup on a regular basis.
- Promote production of natural oils: When you brush your Chihuahua, you are evenly distributing naturally produced oils throughout their coat. The oils are essential for healthy hair growth and skincare. Massaging of your Chi’s skin with a brush also helps stimulate the production of these oils in case your pup has dry skin.
- Bonding: Brushing your Chihuahua can be a wonderful bonding experience. Grooming your Chi gives you the opportunity to spend some one-on-one time with them. If brushed regularly, your pup will learn to love that time you share together.
- Support healthy coat: The most obvious benefit of brushing your Chihuahua is the fact that you’re supporting their healthy coat. If your pup has dry, flakey or itchy skin, brushing them will help remove debris and dead hair to make room for healthier hair to grow. Knotted fur and mats can also lead to more serious health concerns which are easily avoided with regular grooming.
- Keep your home cleaner: Brushing your Chihuahua will remove loose fur from their coat so it ends up on your brush and not your floors. Consistently brushing your Chi will keep your floors, furniture and clothing cleaner!
- Check for pests: An easy way to quickly discover if your Chihuahua has fleas, ticks or other parasites is by brushing them regularly. When you brush your pup, you get an up-close look at their skin and coat, making it more likely that you become aware of a pest infestation quickly. And the quicker you notice the issue, the sooner you can treat it!
Long Hair vs. Short Hair Chihuahua Grooming
The best type of brush for a long haired Chihuahua will be a pin or slicker brush. These brushes are most effective in reaching your pup’s undercoat to remove knots, tangles and mats. Combs are also a fantastic option for brushing out your Chihuahua’s long hair after removing those tangles.
Chihuahuas with long hair need more maintenance to keep their coat feathery and soft. They will need brushing a few times a week in order to support healthy skin and fur.
Short haired Chihuahuas have a coarser coat, and they shed just as long haired Chis do. The best brush for a short haired Chihuahua will be a bristle or curry brush. These brush types remove dead hair, smooth out the fur and stimulate the natural production of oils.
Both coat types require a bath every 4-6 weeks. Long haired Chihuahuas simply require more attention when it comes to keeping their long hair looking beautiful.
5 Popular Brush Types for Chihuahuas
While there are a multitude of different dog brushes available for grooming, these five brush types are the most popular for Chihuahuas:
- Slicker brush: Slicker brushes are common, inexpensive dog grooming tools. They are constructed with flexible metal bristles which help remove tangles, knots and dead hair from your pup’s undercoat.
- Pin brush: Pin brushes are reminiscent of brushes for human hair. They typically have rubber-tipped metal pins, which are great for longer hair, thick coats and stubborn knots.
- Bristle brush: Bristle brushes are softer and appropriate for short coat Chihuahuas. They won’t be effective in removing mats or knots like a metal pin or slicker brushes will. A bristle brush will be great at making your dog’s coat look shiny and healthy.
- Gloves: For Chihuahuas who may be weary of a dog brush, you may want to use a glove instead. Glove dog brushes offer a more personal approach to dog grooming.
- Curry brush: Curry brushes conveniently fit in the palm of your hand, and they are typically made out of rubber or silicone. The raised nodules on a curry comb will gently massage your dog’s skin to promote blood flow and the production of natural oils in your pup’s coat.
Best Dog Brushes for Chihuahuas
|Our 2020 Picks: Best Brush for Chihuahuas|
|Safari Combo Brush For Dogs||CHECK PRICE|
|KONG Dog ZoomGroom Multi-Use Brush||CHECK PRICE|
|Wags & Wiggles Dual Sided Bristle And Wiggle Pin Brush||CHECK PRICE|
|Furbliss Multi-Use Deshedding And Massaging Brush||CHECK PRICE|
|FURemover Duo Dual-Sided Grooming & Hair Removal Dog Brush||CHECK PRICE|
|Hertzko Self-Cleaning Dog Slicker Brush||CHECK PRICE|
|FURminator Curry Comb For Dogs||CHECK PRICE|
|FURminator Soft Slicker Brush For Dogs||CHECK PRICE|
|Mr. Peanut’s Grooming Gloves||CHECK PRICE|
- Pin side removes mats and tangles
- Bristle side distributes natural oils throughout the coat
- Lifts out loose hair and debris
- Great for multi-pet use
This dual-purpose brush is a terrific choice for long haired Chihuahuas. You can use the slicker side to remove knots and tangles from their fur, while removing loose hair and debris. Then you can gently brush your Chi’s hair with the bristle side to evenly distribute natural oils throughout their skin and coat. Your Chihuahua’s beautiful coat will be soft and shiny after using this brush for a relaxing grooming session.
This versatile dog brush from Safari is a great option for both long and short haired Chihuahuas. We suggest purchasing the medium size brush to groom your Chihuahua, unless you plan on brushing larger dogs with it as well. The brush is suitable for all dog breeds and coat types, and it’s ideal for homes with multiple pets.
- Slicker brush removes knots, mats and tangles from long hair
- Bristle side is good for short haired Chihuahuas and to distribute natural oils throughout your dog’s coat
- Removes loose and dead hair, as well as debris
- Suitable for dogs of all breeds and coat types
- The brush may be a bit too large if you have a super tiny Chihuahua. It should work nicely for standard size Chis.
- Great for use during baths
- Nodules gently massage the skin
- Quickly brushes your dog’s coat, removing loose hair
- Fits nicely in your hand for efficient use
This multi-use brush is exceptional for grooming your Chihuahua before, during and after bath time. You can use it during your Chi’s bath to help lather shampoo throughout their coat while offering a gentle massage. The brush will easily glide through your pup’s fur by way of the rounded nodules. Even if your Chihuahua is wet, loose hair will stick to this KONG brush like a magnet. Chihuahuas tends to shed more during bath time, and using this dog brush will help keep all of the excess fur in one place.
This KONG ZoomGroom brush comes in two sizes, and we recommend the puppy size for your beloved canine companion. It’s suitable for all coat types, so both your long and short haired Chihuahuas can reap the benefits. This dog brush is made in the USA from globally sourced materials.
- Innovative design distributes natural oils throughout your Chihuahua’s coat
- Can be used during bath time for a deep shampoo massage
- Appropriate for any dog breed or coat type
- Loose fur sticks to the brush like a magnet
- Two sizes and colors available
- We love this brush for short haired Chihuahuas, but it may not effectively remove tangles from the fur of a long haired Chihuahua.
- Specially designed for dogs with short coats
- Pin side to remove tangles and reduce matting, while bristle side removes loose hair and promotes natural oil production
- Ergonomic handle is easy to grip
This colorful dog brush was designed with short coat dogs in mind. It will be perfect for brushing your Chihuahua with gentle squiggle pins on one side and soft black bristles on the other. The pins will remove loose and dead hair from your pup’s undercoat, while the bristles remove dirt and debris. Chihuahuas have delicate skin, but the squiggly pins on this dog brush have soft tips to avoid injuring your pup.
The size of this dog brush is just the right fit for grooming a Chihuahua. The handle is built to be comfortable, and the shape of the brush’s head can reach into the tiny crevices of your Chi’s small stature. This Wags & Wiggles dog brush is affordable, cute and effective for grooming any Chihuahua. It’s on the editor’s “must-have” list for Chi parents!
- Designed to be gentle to avoid scratching your dog’s skin
- Dual-sided brush removes knots, mats, tangles, loose fur and debris
- Small size can easily brush all areas on your Chihuahua’s body
- Suitable for long or short haired Chihuahuas
- If you have multiple dogs in your home, this brush probably won’t be as effective for grooming large dogs or those with dense coats.
- Made from 100% medical grade silicone
- Suitable for wet or dry use
- Can be cleaned in the dishwasher or washing machine
- Effectively de-sheds and massages
This Furbliss curry comb is excellent for brushing short coat Chihuahuas. The medical grade silicone is soft and gentle on your pup’s delicate skin. The nodules create a relaxing massaging sensation, whether you choose to use the comb in the bath or otherwise. This comb can be used to effectively lather shampoo into your Chi’s coat for a deep cleansing.
This massaging dog brush can also be used to remove fur from clothing and furniture, so it’s truly a multi-use tool. Whether your Chi needs a quick grooming or a full bath treatment, the Furbliss curry comb will get the job done.
- Can be used wet or dry
- Put in the dishwasher or washing machine for disinfecting
- Great for a quick brush or full bath cleansing
- Can be used to remove hair from furniture and clothing
- Also available for long haired Chihuahuas
- One of the more expensive brushes on our list
5 More Chihuahua Brushes
This all-in-one tool is a dog and cat hair removal brush, as well as a lint roller for humans! Not only will this dog brush remove unwanted hair from your pup, but it will also clean off your clothing and furniture. The fine bristle side is meant to remove debris and hair from your furniture and clothing, while the thick bristles are used for grooming your pet. The dog brush is suitable for long and short haired Chihuahuas, and the narrow shape makes it easy to pack on your travels.
This may seem like an ordinary slicker dog brush, but it has a unique feature. With the press of a button the pins retract so you can quickly wipe away and dispose of fur. Whether you have one Chihuahua to brush or several, your wrist won’t easily tire thanks to the comfortable, ergonomic handle. This brush uses metal pins to remove knots, tangles and dead fur from your dog’s coat. It’s suitable for dogs of all sizes and breeds, as well as dogs with either long or short hair.
We like the FURminator Curry Comb for Chihuahuas with short hair. The brush fits comfortably in the palm of your hand while molded rubber teeth groom your Chi and distribute natural oils throughout their coat. The small nodules also act as a massager for your pup, offering them a relaxing, spa-like experience. This dog brush is made with antimicrobial plastic to keep germs and bacteria to a minimum. For Chihuahuas who may be skittish around a regular brush, this handy comb makes a fantastic alternative.
The soft slicker brush from FURminator is a premium grooming tool for both short and long haired Chihuahuas. The brush features straight bristles on one side and bent bristles on the other, so you can choose which will work best for your dog’s grooming needs. The flex head design allows you to follow the natural contours of your Chi’s body as you brush them. Like other FURminator dog brushes, this one is made with antimicrobial plastic to keep bacteria and germs away. We like the versatility of this brush as well as the innovative design.
If your Chihuahua is unsure of standard dog brushes, you may want to try grooming gloves. This pair from Mr. Peanut’s is designed to collect loose hair from your pup while giving them a gentle massage. The gloves feature soft rubber tips that will be gentle and offer a relaxing grooming experience. There are adjustable fasteners on the gloves so they will be nice and snug on your hands. Mr. Peanut’s grooming gloves will be great for a Chihuahua with any length of hair.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How often should I brush my Chihuahua? Short haired Chihuahua should be brushed at least once a week, while long haired Chihuahuas should be brushed 2-3 times a week. You will want to brush your Chi more frequently if their coat needs attention. Some pet parents even enjoy brushing their Chi once a day, as it builds a trusting bond.
- What is the best brush for Chihuahuas? A bristle brush is the best option for short haired Chihuahuas. A pin or slicker brush will be most effective for a Chihuahua with long hair. Our top pick, the Safari Comb Brush for Dogs, has both bristles and metal pins on it, making it the best option for multi-pet households. Curry combs are also excellent for both long and short haired Chis.
- How do you stop a Chihuahua from shedding? Brushing your Chihuahua regularly is the best way to decrease shedding. When you routinely brush your pup, you are removing dead and loose fur that will otherwise shed onto your clothes or furniture. Consistent baths are also important for reducing shedding. If you are concerned about the amount your Chihuahua is shedding, we suggest seeking veterinary attention.
We hope that this guide has helped you pick out the best brush for your Chihuahua. All of the brushes we listed will effectively groom your pup without harming their skin. Remember to pick a brush based on your dog’s needs and preferences, as a brush that may work well for one dog may not be the best for yours.