Contents of Article
- Top Nine Brushes for Pitbulls in 2023
- Best Pitbull Brush Types
- Why Brush Your Pitbull’s Fur Weekly?
- Best Dog Brushes for Your Pitbull
- 9 Best Grooming Tools for Pitbulls
- 5 More Pitbull Brushes
- Frequently Asked Questions
But a weekly brushing and a monthly bath will keep your Pitbull’s coat and skin looking and feeling great. In this article, we’re going to explore some of the best brushes in 2023 for your Pitbull. We’ll also discuss the importance of good coat maintenance to avoid problems down the road.
Top Nine Brushes for Pitbulls in 2023
- HandsOn All-In-One Pet Bathing and Grooming Gloves
- Safari Self-Cleaning Slicker Brush
- FURminator Short Hair Dog Deshedding Tool
- Four Paws Magic Coat Love Glove Dog Bath Massager
- Hartz Groomer’s Best Combo Dog Brush
- Andis Premium Large Pin Pet Brush
- JW Pet Gripsoft Double Row Undercoat Rake
- Frisco Cat & Dog Bristle Brush
- Miracle Care Slicker Dog Brush
Best Pitbull Brush Types
The breeds which fall under the Pitbull type are the American Pitbull Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Bulldog, American Bully, and the American Staffordshire Terrier. While their coats can vary in color from brown to grey, to black, and more, they are all one-layer with a smooth and shiny appearance.
To see a Pitbull and run your hand over its stiff coat, you might think that the breed doesn’t shed much. Not true. The Pitbull can shed a surprising amount to the unsuspecting owner. And since their skin is prone to irritation, you’ll want to be sure there aren’t any underlying issues. So here are the types of brush that will work best on your Pitbull’s coat.
- Shedding Brush: A shedding brush utilizes fine teeth to reach through your dog’s fur and gently pulls the dead hair off. Often made of metal, rubber, or other polymers, this type of brush is excellent for a Pitbull’s coat.
- Pin Brush: Although you may think a pin brush impractical for a Pitbull’s short hair, they can do an excellent job in keeping it clean and healthy. And when the ends have rounded tips, your dog won’t be barking mad.
- Rake Brush: A rake brush does a great job controlling matted fur areas while being comfortable for your Pitbull’s skin. The teeth are set at a 90-degree angle to keep them parallel to the skin for maximum comfort. When used correctly, these can help you get down to where the trouble starts before it does.
- Bristle Brush: A bristle brush provides soft, flexible bristles that gently help distribute the natural oils in your dog’s coat, leaving it shiny and slick. These are quite comfortable for your dog.
- Bath Massager: Since your Pitbull requires monthly baths, a massaging bath glove is an excellent tool for the pet box. Using one of these will help the shampoo do its work down to the skin. And it’ll be soothing to your dog as well since bathtime isn’t always their favorite way to bond.
Why Brush Your Pitbull’s Fur Weekly?
While your Pitbull has short hair, he or she still needs weekly brushing more than many other breeds. The reason for this is the Pitbull’s proneness to various skin irritations that can cause discomfort or even more severe problems, such as mange. Brushing can help keep the doctor away for a fraction of the cost. And your Pitbull will be happier as well.
Allergen-caused irritations, sores, bites, parasites, and other skin conditions are familiar with the Pitbull breed. But regular weekly brushing and a bath in doggie shampoos such as Pawtitas Organic Dog Shampoo or True Blue Natural Balance Dog Shampoo will suffice to keep their coat and skin healthy and smelling great, too.
Brushing time (and bathing time) can be a great bonding experience for you and your Pitbull. Despite how others have often mistreated and misunderstood this animal, the Pitbull is a people-lover and will form a tight bond with the family who treat it with love and care. And you’ll experience the relaxing calm of spending time with your furry friend.
Best Dog Brushes for Your Pitbull
|Our 2023 Picks: Best Brush for Poodles|
|HandsOn All-In-One Pet Bathing and Grooming Gloves
|Safari Self-Cleaning Slicker Brush
|FURminator Short Hair Dog Deshedding Tool
|Four Paws Magic Coat Love Glove Dog Bath Massager
|Hartz Groomer’s Best Combo Dog Brush
|Andis Premium Large Pin Pet Brush
|JW Pet Gripsoft Double Row Undercoat Rake
|Frisco Cat & Dog Bristle Brush
|Miracle Care Slicker Dog Brush
9 Best Grooming Tools for Pitbulls
Read on for in-depth reviews of our favorite pitbull dog brushes.
- Delivers a thorough cleaning and distributes natural oils
- Nodule design feels like a massage and promotes bonding
- Doubles as a deshedder and hair does not stick to glove even when wet
- Will not fall off when wet and soapy
When you put on these gloves, prepare to head for the spa. The rubber nodules running along the fingers and palm do the work to gently massage your Pitbull while he sits in his soapy-sudsy bath. The use of your hands works as a bonding experience between you, whether in the water or out.
These durable gloves also help to deshed your dog even in the tub because hair does not stick to them. Working in the tub is easy, as these gloves won’t fall off just because of a little soap and water. We recommend using a good dog shampoo and bathing at least once a month, along with regular weekly brushing. These gloves can be a big part of your cleaning regimen.
- Gloves relax your dog, so bath time isn’t stress time
- Hands stay clean inside
- Gloves work on multiple pets – even cats (when dry)
- No need to hold and reposition a brush
- Since hair doesn’t stick to gloves, you can’t make piles of hair for easy clean-up
- Provides thorough grooming with minimal effort
- Non-skin irritating with retractable pins
- Cleaning this brush is as easy as pushing a button
- Comfort grip handle made for your comfort, ensuring a steady grip
Clean-up is a breeze when using this slicker brush. With the push of a button, the pins retract, and the hair falls off. Just wipe and re-use. And the hooks are gentle, so your Pitbull’s skin won’t be irritated afterward.
The comfort-grip handle makes your weekly brushing session a snap. This mighty little brush provides thorough grooming with minimal work on your part. And clean-up is so simple; you’ll wonder why you hadn’t bought this brush already.
- You’ll get a thorough clean without a lot of effort
- The push-button pins are great for quick cleaning
- Gets out those undercoat knots without the pain
- The Grip is comfortable on the hands
- Some bristles may get stuck between the top and bottom plates when putting it back together after cleaning
- Reaches beneath short topcoat, removing undercoat and loose hair
- Significantly reduces loose hair from shedding
- The curved edge is comfortable for your dog, while the ergonomic handle fits your hand
- Patented technologies designed by a groomer
This brush is the ultimate fur-grabbing experience! When used correctly, it will reach beneath that topcoat and grab loose hair underneath without causing your Pitbull any discomfort. It’s curved just for this purpose. A groomer designed this de-shedder, so you know it works.
The ergonomic handle is comfortable and allows you to work from any angle. And with a pitbull, you may need to reach around a few times to get it all. And since it gets the loose hair underneath BEFORE they can shed, you won’t have to vacuum later.
- Gets the loose hairs even underneath the topcoat
- Is design to feel comfortable in your hand and on your dog’s body
- Designed by a professional groomer
- Gets most hair on the first pass
- Is a higher-priced item
- Gently massages shampoo or conditioner while penetrating deep into the coat
- Use in or out of the bathtub
- Fits either hand with an easy-to-grasp strap
- Made from durable, waterproof material
This rubber ducky is ready before, during, and after the bath. When used in the tub, it gently massages shampoo or conditioner deep down into the coat. It’s easy to grasp and fits the right or left hand.
This brush is ultra-durable and waterproof, but you’ll notice how easy it is on your Pitbull’s skin. And since bath time isn’t always their favorite time, having something handy that works the first time is crucial. It’s inexpensive and easy to use on all hair types.
- The glove works in or out of the bathtub
- It is gentle and works shampoos or conditioners deep into their coat
- Cleaning this brush is as simple as running water over it to remove the hair
- Since it lathers the shampoo or soap so well, you’ll lose a lot less
- Rubber bristles may be too stiff for some dogs
5 More Pitbull Brushes
This Hartz Combo Brush takes away the need for many others. On one side are the stainless steel pins to remove tangles and excess fur, and on the other are nylon bristles to help distribute the natural oils into your Pitbull’s coat. Its ergonomic handle helps reduce stress and fatigue as you brush your pup down, removing all the dust and loose hair from a hard day of being a dog.
The nylon bristles provide softness and bring out your dog’s shine. The Hartz Groomer’s Best Combo Brush is inexpensive, making it a great brush to have at home and in the car when you go to the dog park.
They made this brush to take a long day of grooming and be ready to go the next day. The Andis brush gets rid of not only loose hair but dirt, and tangles, too. Hair follicles are invigorated when this brush passes over them. This brush will lift the natural oils in your Pitbull’s skin and distribute them throughout the hair.
The pinhead bristles are comfortable on the skin, while the brush has a design with a soft-grip handle to ease the burden on you, too. This brush is so relaxing. Your dog may just roll over and let you brush her belly.
The JW Gripsoft Rake is quite possibly the brush you’ll pick up just to hold. The rubber sheathed handle is THAT comfortable! But it’s not only comfortable for you. The rounded tips on the teeth and the 90-degree angle help prevent your Pitbull’s skin from being raked.
This brush gets to the hair underneath the topcoat with ease and works great on matted fur, too. It will be a great addition to your grooming tools. It’s a little more expensive but well worth it, as it helps you get right down under that topcoat to see if any issues are there, hiding.
The Frisco brush does a great job of softening your dog’s hair by distributing the natural oils. And with a Pitbull’s coat being rather stiff to the touch, a little softness around the edges seems just right. This gentle brush promotes coat health and won’t be irritating to your pup. It can be relaxing for your dog and become a regular part of your bonding experience.
It can be used in a multi-pet household and works on all dog coats, making it a valuable tool to pick up. It’s inexpensive yet effective in helping stave off those skin irritations to which Pitbulls are prone.
The soft, stainless steel tines gently but purposefully glide through your Pitbull’s coat to loosen tangles and mats and grab loose hairs. This ergonomically designed brush de-sheds with the best of them. It also puts on the finishing touches before the dog show.
The Miracle brush can be used frequently without excess irritation to your dog’s skin, and the handle is non-slip even after it gets wet. This brush truly is a miracle in that it does so many things at such a low price. This brush is a real keeper, in our opinion.
Frequently Asked Questions
Have questions about brushing your Pitbull? Here are the answers.
How often should I brush my Pitbull?
The recommended frequency is once per week. As a Pitbull’s skin is susceptible to irritation from many sources, including overbrushing, it is best to stick to this schedule. If you need to brush more often, try using one of the softer brushes mentioned above, like the Frisco Cat & Dog Bristle Brush.
How often should I bathe my Pitbull?
Try developing a regular time once a month for this. You’ll want to use a brush made just for this and shampoo or soap as well. HandsOn All-In-One Pet Bathing and Grooming Gloves are a great option, as is Pawtitas Organic Dog Shampoo. But whatever you decide to use, be gentle. Remember, Pitbulls are larger dogs, but their skin can be sensitive.
If I only buy one brush, which one should it be?
Great question! While the list we’ve compiled gives you many options, if you only buy one, be sure to get one that will safely and effectively remove the unwanted excess hair and smooth out your dog’s coat. We would suggest the Miracle Care Slicker Dog Brush or perhaps the FURminator Short Hair Dog Deshedding Tool.
We hope that we’ve given you some great ideas on which brush or brushes you should buy as you take good care of that Pitbull. Pitbulls are amazing dogs, and so are the people who adopt them. As you pick out the accessories your dog will need, remember that no two dogs are exactly alike. Good luck!