Contents of Article
- What is the Best Brush for an Akita?
- 5 Benefits of Brushing your Akita
- Grooming an Akita’s Coat
- 5 Popular Brush Types for Akitas
- Best Dog Brushes for Akitas
- 5 More Akita Brushes
- Frequently Asked Questions
Although they do have a lot of hair, it is usually mat-free and tangle-free. However, it is vital to keep your Akita brushed. In this article, we will discuss our top grooming tools to help you achieve a perfectly smooth and shiny coat on your Akita.
What is the Best Brush for an Akita?
- Hertzko Self-Cleaning Dog & Cat Slicker Brush
- Hartz Groomer’s Best Combo Dog Brush
- Paws & Pals Best in Show Dog & Cat Deshedding Tool
- Pet Republique Self-Cleaning Slicker Brush
- Safari DeMatting Dog Comb
- Petkin Soft Grip Bamboo Two-Sided Dog Brush
- Pet Magasin Professional Grooming Set
- Babyliss Pro Pet Double Row Pet Rake
- PetBrush by WetBrush Detangler Dog Brush
5 Benefits of Brushing your Akita
- Brushing reduces shedding. Keeping your dog combed will remove loose hair and leave your house, furniture, and clothes cleaner! When brushed regularly, dead hair is released all at once.
- Regularly brushing supports a healthy coat for your Akita. Brushing removes dry skin and can help with flakey skin and itching. It stimulates the hair follicles and encourages healthy hair growth.
- Brushing often increases your dog’s natural oil production. Brushing distributes oils throughout the coat and leads to healthy skin and hair growth.
- Brushing your dog gives you a chance to check for pests and injuries. It is easy not to notice if your dog has an injury or has acquired something like fleas or ticks. Thoroughly brushing your dog gives you a chance to check their body and make sure they are healthy and happy!
- Brushing your Akita promotes a healthy relationship between you and your dog. It creates bonding time and lets you spend some quality time pampering your pup.
Grooming an Akita’s Coat
Akitas have medium-length thick double coats. Brushing every few days is typical for Akita owners, except during spring and fall. For a few months every year, in spring and fall, your Akita sheds its coat entirely. When your dog is in the process of shedding its hair, you should be brushing it daily.
If you don’t brush, it will prolong the process and leave a lot more fur in your home, on your furniture, and your clothing. It takes up to two months for the new, smooth, and shiny coat to come through if you don’t help your dog remove the shedding hair. If you brush daily, shedding should only last a few weeks.
5 Popular Brush Types for Akitas
- Slicker Brush: Slicker brushes have flexible metal bristles on the brush. They are ideal for all coat types. They can brush through thick fur and remove tangles and dead skin.
- Pin Brush: Pin brushes are similar to brushes used on human hair. They have metal pins with a rubber tip, which are perfect for brushing through long thick fur.
- De-matting Comb: De-matting combs are specifically meant to remove mats and tangles from a dog’s coat. Although Akitas are not prone to matting, these brushes can get into thick fur effectively, and the sharp blades can remove any tangles or knots.
- Shedding Rake: A shedding rake is perfect for the “blowing” season. It is simply a comb with long teeth that is great at removing shedding hair.
- Curry Brush: Curry brushes are rubber hand-held brushes that stimulate the dog’s skin and promote the production of natural oils.
Best Dog Brushes for Akitas
|Our 2023 Picks: Best Brush for Akitas|
|Hertzko Self-Cleaning Dog & Cat Slicker Brush
|Hartz Groomer’s Best Combo Dog Brush
|Paws & Pals Best in Show Dog & Cat Deshedding Tool
|Pet Republique Self-Cleaning Slicker Brush
|Safari DeMatting Dog Comb
|Petkin Soft Grip Bamboo Two-Sided Dog Brush
|Pet Magasin Professional Grooming Set
|Babyliss Pro Pet Double Row Pet Rake
|PetBrush by WetBrush Detangler Dog Brush
- Comes in a small and a large size
- Easy to clean
The Hertzko Self-Cleaning Dog & Cat Slicker Brush is our top pick for Akita owners! It is easy to use and is known to cut through tough knots and tangles. It has curved bristles that are meant to penetrate thick fur without hurting the dog’s skin.
The Hertzko brush has an anti-slip handle to keep your wrist comfortable and leaves your dog with a shinier and healthier coat. Its self-cleaning feature makes it stand out from other brushes. When done brushing, you simply press the automatic retraction button, and the bristles move up into the brush face. You then wipe the front of the brush off, leaving it clean and furless!
This brush comes in a large and small size; we recommend large for Akitas. It is made for all coat types to be used on other dogs or cats in the house. It is comfortable and easy to use, and its massaging feeling leaves dogs wanting more!
- Anti-slip handle
- Curved bristles that get deep into the fur
- Comes in multiple sizes
- Suitable for any dog type
- One of the most expensive brushes on our list
- Does not come with a soft-bristle side to add shine to the outer coat
- Removes small mats
- Two-sided brush
The Hartz Groomer’s Best Combo Dog Brush is a two-in-one miracle-worker! Your Akita’s thick fur is no match for the Groomer’s Best Combo. One side is stainless steel pins with a protective coating on top to get deep into the under-layer of fur and remove the shedding hair. The other side is a soft-bristled brush to smooth the overcoat and distribute natural oils throughout the coat.
Professional groomers designed this Hartz brush, and it’s suitable for everyday use. It is ideal for small animals too, so you can use it on other breeds or even on a cat! This brush is perfect for grooming an Akita withDesigns an ergonomic handle and easy transition between soft and stiff bristles.
- Stainless steel bristles to detangle
- Soft bristles to add shine
- Can be used on all breeds of dogs and cats
- Designed by professional groomers
- Cheapest brush on our list
- Is not explicitly made for medium-length hair
- Professional quality
- Helps reduce allergies
- Gentle on skin
- Ideal for all hair types
The Paws & Pals Best in Show Dog & Cat Deshedding Tool is a highly rated tool for big shedders. It has sturdy stainless steel blades that detangle and remove hair. It gets deep into the undercoat but is gentle enough not to harm your dog’s skin. It also comes with a one year warranty.
The Paws & Pals Best in Show Tool helps with allergy relief by removing allergens and dandruff. It reduces shedding with regular use and promotes a healthy, long-lasting undercoat. The brush is painless and is self-cleaning, meaning you don’t have to clean it frequently like a groomer glove or a rubber brush. This is the perfect tool to use on an Akita when they are going through a shedding phase!
- Gentle on skin
- Relieves allergens and dandruff
- Reduces shedding
- Reaches the thick undercoat
- Ideal for any coat type
- Includes a one year warranty
- Does not come with a soft-brustle option
- Is not suitable for distributing natural oils and maintaining shine
- Designed for medium and long hair breeds
- Features a self-cleaning button
- Gentle on skin
The Pet Republique Self-Cleaning Slicker Brush is excellent for shedding mitigation. It features a self-cleaning button where the bristles retract, and the fur falls right off. It has flexible bristles but still detangles and removes tough knots. This brush is perfect if you are looking for a middle ground between an intense de-matter and a soft-bristled brush.
The Pet Republique Slicker Brush is gentle on the skin and has a non-slip handle to make brushing easier on you as well. It is small and compact and can be used on all breeds of animals. Additionally, Pet Republique donates 15% of all profits to the American Animal Rescue Society. You can feel good about purchasing this brush because it benefits animals in need, and it is effective for Akitas fur.
- Flexible bristles
- Gentle on skin
- Can be used on all dog or cat breeds
- A portion of profits go to an animal rescue program
- One of the most expensive products on our list
5 More Akita Brushes
The Safari De-Matting Dog Comb is made to remove mats and tangles deep in dog coats. Matted hair can trap in dirt, oil, moisture, and smells. This de-matting comb removes loose hair and tangles. It is made specifically for dogs with medium to long hair, so it is perfect for Akitas.
This Safari grooming tool is designed to massage and groom at the same time. It stimulates blood flow throughout your dog’s skin and promotes healthy hair growth. The bristles are made from stainless steel and have rounded ends to ensure the dog’s safety. If your dog has tough mats, this is the product for you!
This cost-effective brush is perfect for an Akita. It is double-sided, with one stainless steel pin side to get deep into your dog’s coat and one soft-bristle side to spread your dog’s natural oils and add shine to its coat.
The handle comes with a soft grip to make it more comfortable to hold and prevent slipping when working out tough knots. It is made specifically for medium to long-haired dogs, and its two-in-one design allows you to have the benefits of two brushes in the same product.
The Pet Magasin Professional Grooming Set comes with three products to take care of all of your grooming needs. With a double-sided brush, a de-matting comb, and a long-tooth undercoat rake, this trio can tackle any tangles your dog might get.
The de-matting comb is manufactured specifically to remove tough knots and tangles from the fur. The long-tooth undercoat rake gets deep into the fur and removes dead skin and dead hair without damaging or hurting your dog’s skin. The double-sided brush helps smooth the top layer and style your dog’s fur. Using these three together will reduce shedding and keep your dog’s skin healthy.
If you are looking for a package that comes with multiple products, the Pet Magasin Professional Grooming Set is our top recommendation.
The Babyliss Pro Pet Double Row Pet Rake penetrates deep into your pup’s coat to remove tough knots and dead hair. It has two rows of heat-treated bristles made from stainless steel, which make your dog’s skin healthier and leaves your home cleaner.
The Babyless Double Row Pet Rake gets deep into the undercoat and removes tangles that many other brushes cannot reach. Additionally, it is made for medium to long coats, making it ideal for dogs like the Akitas.
If you have ever used a WetBrush brand brush on your human hair, then you know how excellent their products are! The PetBrush Detangler Dog Brush works well on Akita’s thick coat and is virtually painless when removing tangles, just like the human version. It comes in a small and large size.
The PetBrush reduces pulling and breakage and allows you to comb their fur in half the time. It works on all fur types and has IntelliFlex bristles that make it easier than ever to comb through hair. Although it is tougher to remove mats and tangles with this brush than one with stainless steel bristles, it is perfect if your Akita isn’t prone to matting. The large size is ideal for medium and large dog breeds like the Akita!
Frequently Asked Questions
What Technique Should I Use to Groom My Akita?
It is essential to know what you are doing when you groom your Akita, so you don’t injure your dog or ruin their coat. It is recommended to own a brush and a comb so that you can switch between the two based on your dog’s shedding at the time.
Start at the head and angle the brush’s teeth in the same direction as your dog’s fur. Place your hand near the rear of your dog and with one hand remaining on the coat, begin brushing below your hand. Move your hand up an inch or two and continue like this until you reach the head. Then you can brush in long full-body strokes, making sure you don’t move too fast.
You want to make sure that the brush is reaching the dog’s skin. If you don’t get down to the skin, you can comb out the topcoat and leave the undercoat matted or tangled. Clean the bristles out often so that the brush can penetrate the hair effectively.
Akitas have a unique coat. Be wary of using shampoo on the Akita’s waterproof coat. It is difficult to rinse out of the thick double-layers. Brushing regularly will reduce the need for you to use soap on your dog!
If you are a new Akita owner, do some research on proper grooming techniques for your dog. There are hundreds of videos and articles that can teach you more tips and tricks to ensure your dog has the appropriate care.
How Often Should I Brush My Akita?
Every spring and fall, the Akita breed sheds their coat. This is called “blowing.” During these periods, your dog loses its entire coat. This process lasts up to three weeks, and shedding is extreme. It is vital to keep your dog adequately brushed during these periods to help prevent them from acquiring a skin condition like eczema.
Brush your Akita daily during the spring and fall. If you spend at least an hour a day brushing during these times, you can cut their shed time down by months! Other times of the year, Akita shedding isn’t bad. Brushing every few days during these months will help keep your dog’s skin and coat healthy.
Should I Bathe My Akita Before Brushing?
No. You should be bathing your Akita very rarely. Akitas have a naturally waterproof coat which repels dirt, so regularly bathing them is not necessary. They are known to self-clean, and washing them can be tricky.
Akitas only need to be bathed between 2-4 times per year. Shampoo can quickly dry out their skin and deplete their natural oils, leading to dry and irritated skin. If your dog gets into the dirt and needs to be cleaned, using warm water and a washcloth to clean them off will do the trick.
Brushing regularly is the best way to eliminate odors and dirt from your dog. Not needing to clean them leaves more time to focus on brushing your pup and keeping its coat shiny and healthy.
The Akita is a beautiful and clean breed. Although they require frequent brushing, especially in the fall and spring, they are a great dog and are relatively easily maintained. The Hertzko Self-Cleaning Dog & Cat Slicker Brush is our top choice for Akitas. It is durable and effective at getting deep into the Akita’s double coat.
The Hartz Groomer’s Best Combo Dog Brush is another excellent choice. It is inexpensive and provides a deep comb with a top coat shine.
All of the products listed above are suitable for your Akita. With a little practice and a lot of brushing, your Akita can be soft and silky all year round!